My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Sleeping Dragons


Sleeping Dragons (The Executioner)
By Michael A. Black
Gold Eagle Books
ISBN #978-0373644193
Price $5.99
190 Pages
Rating 5-Stars

“Very smooth and plenty of action”

Don Pendleton’s The Executioner: “Sleeping Dragons” by Michael A. Black. The latest in the Mack Bolan series has The Executioner and his pal, Jack Grimaldi in Hong Kong investigating the murder of a CIA agent. The agent had been following Eddie Lee, a Chinese arms dealer, and discovers he’s making a deal with a mysterious Libyan for Drones and something they call the “sleeping dragons”. A super weapon the Libyans need to kill the infidels and take back their homeland.

I had only read a few of the early Executioners by Don Pendleton before I got tired of all the disbelief in one man’s massive killing of Mafia gangs, so wasn’t a follower of the series. The idea of a one-man army in Vietnam just turned me off completely. Soldiers didn’t operate alone in the jungles of Vietnam, so Sergeant Mack Bolan never caught on with me. Now, after saying that, when I heard that Mike Black, a real soldier, and Vietnam veteran was the author of “Sleeping Dragons”, I had to give this book a try. To my delight, the story takes place in Hong Kong, which is one of my favorite settings. Bolan and Grimaldi go up against a Chinese gang this time, instead of the Mafia. Bolan has his job cut out for him, and it’s not an easy walk. Plus, there appears to be a traitor in British intelligence that is setting them up. If Gold Eagle Books continues the series with authors like Michael A. Black, they will have a new fan of the Executioner series. This entry is topnotch all the way.

Tom Johnson
Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment