My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Friday, October 4, 2013

The Boy Who Loved Batman


The Boy Who Loved Batman (A Memoir)
By Michael E. Uslin
Chronicle Books LLC
ISBN #978-0811875509
Price $19.70 (Hardback)
256 Pages
Rating 5-Stars

“Memories Of A Comic Book Fan”

The author discovered comic books when he was five years old, then fell in love with the character of Batman. This book chronicles his dreams from childhood, through education, and finally to Hollywood where he would be involved in bringing a darker Batman to film with such titles as “Batman Begins”. We see his struggles, triumphs, loves, and discouragements along the way.

I found Michael Uslin’s life an interesting one, and agree with his philosophy to dream your dreams, then get off your butt and pursue them. I find this true. Many people have plenty of dreams, but sit on their butts waiting for opportunity to come knocking on their door, and then blame everyone else when they don’t achieve their dreams. Like the author I discovered comic books at an early age (age 7 for me), and loved Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman until I found Captain Marvel and The Marvel Family. But I was never a fanatic, and only picked up comic books occasionally. In the third grade my teacher caught me with a comic book in school and brought me a book, suggesting I read real literature. The book was “Dr. Hudson’s Secret Journal” by Lloyd C. Douglas, and I became a reader of novels from that point onward. However, I could feel Michael Uslin’s love for comic books, and especially Batman, and if his memoirs don’t do anything else, I hope they persuade readers to pursue their dreams as steadfast as he, and don’t blame the world if you fail.

Tom Johnson
Echoes Magazine

1 comment: