My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Friday, August 9, 2013

Wordslingers: An Epitaph For The Western


Wordslingers: An Epitaph For The Westerns
By Will Murray
ISBN #978-1618270856
Altus Press www.altuspress.com/
470 Pages
Price $25.84
Rating 5-Stars

“Where Have The Westerns Gone?”

In this in-depth study of the pulp western magazines, Will Murray uncovers what the writers, editors, agents, and publishers of those grand old stories felt about what they were writing, publishing, and selling. A genre that has come close to dying many times, but somehow returns to thrill a new generation, whether it was the printed word, radio, or the visual screen of movies and television. Yet threatened, it has always been. The author has put together a huge amount of correspondence and articles written for such markets as WRITER’S DIGEST, THE AUTHOR & JOURNALIST, WRITER’S REVIEW, WRITER’S JOURNAL, the writer’s MONTHLY, THE WRITER, WRITER’S MARKET and METHODS, and REPORT to WRITERS, all journals catering to writers, editors, and agents.

From as early as the 19th Century DIME NOVELS through the early 20th Century Pulp Magazines, the market flourished, but was often on shaky ground. How did those involved in the genre keep it afloat? You will read about that here, from the very people who lived it. For anyone remotely interested the western magazines, or pulp in general, this book is a history you will have to read. Highly recommended.

Tom Johnson
Echoes Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment