My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Monday, June 1, 2015

Cop Job

Cop Job (Murder Mystery)
By Chris Knopf
The Permanent Press www.thepermanentpress.com
ISBN #978-1579623937
Price $29.00
288 Pages
Rating 4-Stars

“Good Mystery, Well Written, But Slow.”

Alfie Aldergreen, confined to a wheelchair, is found floating in the bay with his hands strapped to the chair. He was an Army veteran suffering from PSTD, and delusional. Why would anyone kill him? Sam Acquillo and Jackie Swaitkowski, two of his friends, are asked by the police chief to find out what they can about the murder. It seems that the victim was a police informer, and he wasn’t the only police informer murdered recently.  Then the DA calls them in. She believes there may be bad cops involved. 

The case has twists and turns, with enough suspects to fill an Army platoon, and strangely there is an Army connection hidden somewhere deep in the mystery, but what does that mean?

This well-written mystery novel kept my interest throughout, though the action was infernally slow. Oh, there was a bit of a wrestling match in the first 100 pages, then a short battle on a boat at the end of the story. It’s definitely character driven, with a well worked out plot.  I was able to stay with the story to the end, though at times I wanted to toss the book in the trash. Besides being slow, the dialogue left me cold. I cannot believe men and women throw the “f” word about in ever-day normal conversation, and in mixed company, as if it goes on everywhere. Made me wonder if there is a quota for the “f” word now. For me, it made the characters appear unrealistic, and left me wishing I hadn’t read the book.  Mystery lovers who can accept the unbelievable dialogue will love the mystery, however.

Tom Johnson

Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment