My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Gunslinger's Companion


The Gunslinger’s Companion (Historical Fiction)
By Michael De Stefano
ISBN #978-1937769307
Price $14.50
238 Pages
Rating 5-Stars

“Reminiscent of Steinbeck and Caldwell. The story of migrant workers in America, and a family’s desperate journey during dangerous times.”

The story begins when a family leaves Mexico before a civil war starts in their country, only to be enmeshed in America’s War Between the States. It follows the families as they experience suffering, rape, and a living hell in their adopted land, where evil begets them along their journey. The story focuses on Pablo Cordero, as he struggles to survive in a failing economy among violent people. Born of migrant parents working the wheat harvest across America, the hard men who follow the wheat crops can be cruel and uncaring of who they hurt.

Even though the story skips around, returning to past times, then back to the present, the author keeps the reader entertained. Pablo invents fantasies to tell his daughter and granddaughter, to cover up the harsh times. He tells them of sunrises and sunsets on Bagdad Beach in Matamoros, Mexico, and how magical the event is. What befalls them on their journey will make a strong man cry. Pablo holds on to his faith, though his life is the suffering of Job, never blaming God for his miseries. The reader will laugh at his humor, and then cry at his many losses. This is a novel reminiscent of Steinbeck and Caldwell, and should be read with a light heart for a gentle man and his family’s plight. The characters will mesmerize the readers. Highly recommended.

Tom Johnson
Echoes Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment