My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Miracle Menace


The Miracle Menace (Doc Savage)
By Kenneth Robeson (Will Murray)
ISBN #978-1618271327
Altus Press www.altuspress.com/
Price $24.95 (paperback)
314 Pages
Rating 5-Stars

“The Continuing Sagas of The Adventures of The Man of Bronze!”

Two mysteries transpire in the area of La Plata, Missouri. First, a mysterious old Victorian home tends to disappear and reappear from time to time, causing a bit of curiosity among the citizens. Second, there is the sudden appearance of Christopher Columbus, the man that discovered America. Doc received word of the mysteries from two of his “college” graduates, men who were released from the special hospital where their minds were operated on to remove criminal tendencies.  Gathering his five aides, they depart for Missouri, where they encounter more than they had bargained for!

How’s this for a Halloween special release? Starting off the issue is Joe DiVito’s fantastic cover featuring Doc, Monk, and Ham, plus Doc’s Dirigible. In fact, this cover is now my favorite of the series, with the cover of “Death’s Dark Domain” coming in second. Altus Press has designed and produced another fantastic product. My only complaint is the paperback edition does not contain the beautiful wraparound cover that Joe illustrated. You have to get the hardback for that. In this complicated mystery, we have time travel, mind reading, foreign spies, a religious cult, and a pair of magicians, plus the beautiful girl and … Christopher Columbus!

The Miracle Menace may not top Skull Island, but you can’t criticize it for lack of trying. Skull Island is going to be hard to surpass. But Will Murray gives it a good try with all the elements mixed into this new adventure. It proves once again that Will is the right author for the continuing series of Doc Savage.

Tom Johnson
Echoes Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment