My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Three, Imperfect Number


Three, Imperfect Number (Murder Mystery)
By Patrizia Rinaldi
ISBN #978-1609451240
Europa Editions
Price $15.00
176 Pages
Rating 3-Stars

In Naples, a famous singer is found murdered. Captain Malano calls it a serial killing and assigns the case to Captain Vincenzo Martusciello’s office. With Detective Arcengelo Liguari and Sergeant Blanca Occhiuzzi, they interview witnesses and act like policemen. Blanca is blind, and sees more through voices than her partners. Half way through the book a second murder is discovered with the same MO, proving the case to be a serial killer. But is it a false trail?

The characters were cardboard while the dialogue did not feel real, and the police investigation meaningless. One murder might have been a ritual killing, but I’m not sure it would constitute a serial killing until more than one was murdered.

The story had possibilities. Perhaps if better written with more believable characters and dialogue, it would hold readers’ interest. Liguari is a rich playboy, working as a detective for who knows what reason. He certainly doesn’t need a job or money. Blanca could have overshadowed her partners, but wasn’t used properly. Even the killer didn’t stand out as true. A shame.

Tom Johnson
Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment