My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Champion of Justice and Freedom


Champion of Justice and Freedom (Juvenile)
By Wayne Greenough
ASIN B007d58H71
Musa Publishing
Rating 5-Stars

Young Tate’s grandfather loves old Republic serials, and shows them to his grandson, telling him about heroes and champions of justice in the days of his youth, instilling in the young 7th Grader the idea of becoming a hero at school, protecting the innocent and punishing evildoers. But to his sad discovery, things always backfire making him into the bad guy. Even when he takes on Mountain, the biggest boy in school as his helper, they still wind up in trouble with the principal and teachers. Especially when the Phantom Marker strikes.

Written in 12 chapters, like the old Saturday Matinee series of Republic Pictures, each chapter ending in something resembling a cliffhanger, the young boys must unmask the evil Phantom Marker before they are blamed for his misdeeds.

This was a fun little novelette featuring children who wanted to be heroes like Spy Smasher, The Lone Ranger, and all the great heroes of radio, comic books and serials. Meant for children, I think adults will also get a kick out of the innocence of hero-worshipping children. Now, if the author would just write a 12-chapter serial for us adults. Highly recommended for ages 7 to 12, and maybe some of us older kids.

Tom Johnson
Detective Mystery Stories

2 comments:

  1. It was a fun read, Tim, but strictly juvenile. As I said, it's aimed for the 7 to 12 age group.

    ReplyDelete