My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Serpent's Sacrifice

Being a hero could cost her everything...
In 1960's Jet City, women are supposed to want marriage and babies, not cowls and secret identities. When her beloved aunt is murdered by a new crime syndicate, Alice takes up the mantle of the Serpent, a heroine that's been protecting Jet City for decades.
But one mistake will unleash a nightmare villain who will stop at nothing to take control of the city and kill anyone who stands in the way.
Can Alice survive the battle and become the hero she was always meant to be? Or will the price be too much to bear?
If you like brave heroines, chilling villains, and fast-paced action, then you'll love Serpent's Sacrifice, the first novel in an exciting new superhero series. Get your copy today and start the adventure!


Serpent’s Sacrifice (Pulp Action)
The Vigilantes Book #1
By Trish Heinrich
Beautiful Fire Publications
ISBN # 978-0999066911
Price $12.99 (Paperback)
484 Pages
Rating 4.5-Stars

“Great characters, good story telling, and great action.”

In 1947 we’re introduced to Alice Seymour, Marco Meyer, and Lionel. They are children ages 9 to 12, living in a poor section of Jet City. Alice’s father is a drunk and beats her and her mother. When her mother is killed during a robbery, her mother’s sister, Aunt Diane Miller and her husband come to take Alice away. The story then jumps to 1959, and Alice is a young woman, just out of college with a degree in business. She’s taking over her aunt’s business, Atlas Bookstore, and plans to live in the loft.  Her aunt also teaches her how to fight. One night Aunt Diane is killed by a group of men, and now Alice has lost a second person close to her. She’s also attacked one night, and fights the men off, then meets the local superheroes, Shadow Master and American Steel, not recognizing them at first, for they are her childhood friends, Marco and Lionel. Now she joins them and wants to help fight crime and find the killer of her aunt.

With the help of the first super heroine, The Serpent, she takes on the guise of the third incarnation of the super heroine, and learns that a crime syndicate is operating in the city ran by the mysterious Phantasm. Her aunt, Diane was the identity of the second Serpent.

Okay, I loved the story and characters, and the novel was well written. It kept my interest throughout, and kept me turning the pages. But I didn’t like the ending. In comic books you can have the super hero fighting the villain forever, but in a novel, I want to see a conclusion. I want to see the battle between good and evil at the end of the story. I don’t want to read three to four hundred pages, then find out I have to get the second novel to “maybe” find out how the hero wins the struggle with the villain. And that’s the weakness in the novel. The reader has invested their time and thrilled to the action, as it leads to the final confrontation between the hero and villain, and when it doesn’t happen we’re left empty – or mad. Hey, I was expecting a big fight scene between The Serpent and Phantasm. But it didn’t happen. Maybe in the next three to four hundred page novel? But I do recommend this book very highly. Great characters, good story telling, and great action.

Tom Johnson

Author of THE COBRA

No comments:

Post a Comment