My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Empire of Doom

It began with the hijacking of a destroyer from the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The stolen warship struck midtown Manhattan with its mighty guns, then vanished far out to sea.
         Who were the strange men wearing the golden uniforms of no known power who pulled off the daring highjacking? And who was their mysterious leader, a being of seemingly supernatural abilities?
         Doc Savage did not know. But The Shadow did! Combining forces, the Man of Bronze and the Dark Avenger follow the trail of a superfoe from The Shadow’s past.
But can they learn to trust one another?
         From fog-shrouded New York to a futuristic underground kingdom in the heart of Asia, the battle sprawls––with the world’s fate at stake!


Empire of Doom (Adventure)
“Wild Adventures of Doc Savage”
By Kenneth Robeson (Will Murray)
ALTUS PRESS www.altuspress.com
ISBN #978-1618272850
Price $24.95
460 Pages
Rating 5-Stars

“A Classic Pulp Adventure.”

Shiwan Khan, The Golden Master, once thought dead after battling The Shadow in four pulp adventures, is back and gunning for The Shadow as he prepares to gather his Golden Horde for another try at world conquest. Stealing a destroyer  in the New York Navy Yard, he aims the big guns at a hotel in New York, hoping to destroy The Shadow while Kha Khan’s men steal scientific weapons The Shadow has stored in the Sanctum in the hotel basement. With these super weapons he then heads out to sea in his quest for Xanadu, his Mongol kingdom hidden beneath a mountain range in Asia. This time he believes himself unstoppable.

This novel starts off with action, bringing both The Shadow and Doc Savage into the fight from the start. The Shadow is driven with a passion to stop the self-claimed descendant of Ghanghis Khan before he can set up his kingdom and rule the world. Doc Savage just wants to stop the madman from killing more people. The trail leads Doc and his aides, Monk, Ham, Renny, and Long Tom on the trail of the stolen destroyer, while The Shadow is in hot pursuit of Shiwan Khan. Aiding The Shadow are Slade Farrow and Miles Crofton. Also present in the US is Senator Ross Releston and FBI agent, Vic Marquete. This was a highly action-packed novel featuring the two pulp heroes together for the second time, and I had the idea that Doc Savage wasn’t sure how to take The Shadow and his violent ways, but working together, Doc and The Shadow are also an awesome pair. A really fun story, but I am anxious for Will Murray to write a lone Shadow novel without Doc some day. Personally, I think he can do it with ease. Highly recommended

Tom Johnson

Author of THE MAN IN THE BLACK FEDORA

2 comments:

  1. I too await a lone shadow novel I think he will do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will has really taken over Doc Savage, and in my opinion his Docs are every bit as good as Dent's, if not better. I'm sure he can turn out some great Shadows also.

    ReplyDelete