My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Sky Ghosts: All For One

Unseen in their black gear against the night sky, there are Sky Ghosts - gifted warriors who have been hiding among humans for centuries. They are bodyguards of the highest caliber and protectors of their cities at night, when they hunt those who choose the dark side, Sky Beasts. Jane and Pain from the New York Ghosts Headquarters don't think twice about beheading a Beast or two. One night, they save two young men from their enemies' blades and find themselves in the middle of a war. As they put their lives at stake to save their wards, the main mystery remains unsolved: why would the Beasts hunt two ordinary human boys?

Sky Ghosts: All For One (Young Adult Urban Fantasy)
By Alexandra Engellmann
Amazon Kindle
ASIN #B00QQABR5U
Price $2.99
359 Pages
Rating 3-Stars

“Interesting Concept And Characters.”

There are two opposing forces, the Sky Ghosts and the Beasts. The Sky Ghosts patrol the city at night, protecting citizens from roving Sky Beasts. These are super heroes of sorts, fighting against super villains of sorts. The Sky Ghosts go back a long time in the past, when one man had the determination to fly. Since then, more had been born with the power, eventually splitting off into two factions, Ghosts & Beasts. Well trained with swords and knives, as well as strength and martial arts, the Sky Ghosts don’t hesitate to kill by decapitating the Sky Beasts with their swords. One night sisters, Jane and Pain come across Sky Beasts accosting two civilians and intervene, slicing the Beasts’ heads off. They bring the two men back to headquarters, where their boss decides the men should remain under their protection while he discovers what the Sky Beasts wanted with them.

The story then introduces the readers to all of the main characters, and we follow them in battle and play time. They train hard, and have feelings like anyone else. The writing was awkward, and the story was in bad need of tightening. Perhaps we can compare them to The Magnificent 7: seven gunfighters against a gang of outlaws. There was little difference in the two forces. The story also reminded me of the old phrase, “Drugs, Sex, and Rock & Roll,” and I had trouble defining the good from the bad, as both sides kill wantonly without hesitation. Sky Ghosts certainly aren’t angels. Personally, I found the story too juvenile for my taste. The fight scenes could have been worked on, instead of just a swish and heads roll. Recommended for juvenile readership.

Tom Johnson
Author of CARNIVAL OF DEATH

No comments:

Post a Comment