My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Freed Men

The young slave Bass Reeves is captured by a Yankee spy during the 1862 Civil War campaign in Arkansas culminating in at the Battle of Pea Ridge. Set free by his captor, Bass wanders into the encampment of the 2nd Cherokee Mounted Rifles of the Southern Army. Colonel Stand Watie, directs the lost slave to stand and fight with them, which he does, all the way to the Confederate retreat from Elkhorn Tavern. Battling shoulder-to-shoulder with the brave Cherokee warriors during the fierce combat, Bass’s life is forever changed in a way he never before dreamed.

West of The Dead Line (Historical Western)
Episode #2 Freed Men
By Phil Truman
AWOK Westerns www.awok.com
ISBN #978-1620161050
Price $0.99
24 Pages

Young slave Bass Reeves becomes Colonel Reeves boy during the war between the states. He had been Reeves’ father’s slave before that. While hauling water from the creek for the colonel he’s captured by a Yankee spy and carried off a ways, then released. Making his way back to the camp he runs into the Second Cherokee Mounted Rifles from the Indian Territory setting up an ambush for the Yankee cavalry. Fighting with them, he captures a gun and honors himself during the battle. When Colonel Reeves finds him again, there is eventually a confrontation because of the gun and Bass’s new attitude, and before the colonel can have Bass whipped for insubordination, he escapes.

This was a well written short story about a real life historical slave, with well researched material for the content of the story. Highly recommended for the western fan, especially historical westerns.

Tom Johnson

ECHOES Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment