My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Three-Nine Line

The Three-Nine Line (Murder Mystery)
“A Cordell Logan Mystery”
By David Freed
The Permanent Press www.thepermanentpress.com
ISBN #978-1579623999
280 Pages
Price $29.00 (Hardcover)
Rating 5-Stars

“Well Written With A Good Twist.”

Vietnam. Where Americans died. Where pilots were shot down and captured, spending years in captivity in the North’s Hanoi Hilton, being tortured. Now America is seeking a Trade Agreement with Vietnam, and three ex-POWs are returning to Hanoi as good will ambassadors to cement the agreement. At a meeting, they are reunited with a vicious guard they nicknamed “Mr. Wonderful”, who provided some of the more horrific torture. The former POWs are to let him know they no longer carry any grudge against him or Vietnam. But the next day Mr. Wonderful is found murdered, and two ex-POWs are arrested for his murder.

The President wants an investigator sent to Hanoi to unravel the mystery, and hopefully save the Trade Agreement. Cordell Logan, private pilot instructor, and ex-Alpha team assassin is called back into service. His old friend is now heading another unit, and he wants Logan to go to Hanoi, disguised as a psychiatrist named Bob Barker to act as the prisoners’ doctor while in confinement.

This was a well-written mystery with a good twist. The setting was a good touch, and using ex-POWs as characters, though fictional, was a good plot tool. In 1973 I was part of security for Operation Welcome Home in California where families awaited aircraft bringing their heroes home. It’s a time I’ll never forget, as those men stepped off the planes, and their families rushing through the security ropes to get to them. We wouldn‘t have stopped them if we wanted, and we didn’t want to. We also guarded them at news conferences and in the hospital. 42 years ago, and you never hear about those heroes today. Even the war in Vietnam is almost forgotten. But this is a mystery story, and I highly recommend it to mystery lovers.

Tom Johnson

Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment