My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Mystery of Rio


The Mystery of Rio (Murder Mystery)
By Alberto Mussa
ISBN #978-1609451363
Europa Editions
Price $16.00
192 Pages
Rating 4-Stars

In 1913 Rio de Janeiro, a government official is murdered in a house of prostitution. The main suspect is the prostitute administering to his needs. The prostitute disappears completely, and the police are baffled. They find her brother, but he says he doesn’t know where she is. Did she really kill the man, or has something befallen her also?

This was a very weird story. Written like a Cold Case investigation, the narrator explaining what has happened, and what transpired over the course of the investigation. The reader is bored with details and history of Rio de Janeiro, often going off on tangents about other cases centuries before. There is little, if any, tension or danger to the investigators.

However, the mystery of the murder was such that the reader will want to follow the case to its conclusion. Although I had my suspicions about the case, as all the so-called clues were presented within the first 75 pages, I wanted to find out if my ideas were correct. This book will interest True Crime readers more than fiction readers, simply the way it was written, yet it presents a fine mystery in the telling.

Tom Johnson
Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment