My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Bottom of Your Heart

The Bottom of Your Heart (Murder Mystery)
By Maurizio de Giovanni
Europe Editions www.eropaeditions.com
ISBN #9781609452940
456 Pages
Price $18.00
Rating 5-Stars

Professor Tullio Iovine del Castello, chair of gynecology at the university suddenly takes a dive out the topmost window from his office building, but the investigation reveals that he didn’t jump; somebody threw him. Someone who is big and strong enough to physically throw him through a window. Now it’s up to Commissario Ricciardi and Brigadier Maione to discover whom the murderer is. The trail leads to several suspects, a gangster known as the Wolf, a huge and strong man, whose wife died at the hands of the doctor during childbirth; he had vowed to kill the professor. Another suspect is the son of a competing doctor; also a huge, strong man. The professor had wronged them, and there was a letter of warning from the father. Yet, to prove either is the murderer it will be a hard case of unraveling real evidence to prove which one.

This was another fantastic trail of crime in 1930s Naples, by the chief investigator cursed with “sight” that reveals the final moments of the victim, and their last words. Although those words don’t point to the murderer, they do reveal final thoughts, and Commissario Ricciardi must ponder their meaning while speaking with witnesses and suspects in the case. The characters capture the reader from the start, and take them on the journey to find the answer to the riddle. Personally, I think this is the best series coming out of Italy. I love the characters, and the writing of Maurizio de Giovanni, and have enjoyed every novel by this fine author so far. Highly recommended for mystery lovers.

Tom Johnson

Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment