My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Every Night Our Devils Come

Every Night Our Devils Come (Horror)
By Thomas Owen, James Gitschlag, James Sarjent
Create Space
ISBN #978-1493761388
94 Pages
Price $5.95
Rating 5-Stars

“Nightmares of Horror.”

This horror anthology contains four tales of vampires and other monsters. “Blood Moon” by Thomas Owen features four vampires in the old country that feast on villagers in the countryside; there may even be a fifth. “Young Bones” is the retelling of an old folktale by James Sarjent, but with a happy ending this time, and a warning not to read the original tale. Thomas Owen is back with “Every Night” about an old Victorian house on the market that may already have occupants. The final tale by James Gitschlag, “For Whence Does My Help Come,” follows General Robert E. Lee towards the final battles between the North & South. A mysterious visitor to his tent in the dark of night, calling himself General Tepish, offers Lee victory for a favor. Should he take it?

I remember sitting at a small campfire outside the house as my uncles told us kids scary stories by flickering flame light on many dark nights. The stories left us frightened of the dark, imagining ghost, vampires, and other monsters in the woods where we lived. The four tales collected in this anthology was a throwback to those times. Scary, and well told, bringing the horror of monsters to the forefront of our imagination in a way the old storytellers did in years past. Normally I don’t read horror tales because modern writers tend to vulgarize a yarn for the sake of shock, leaving little to the imagination of the mind. The reader won’t find any of that here. These are tales that invade your mind, and leave you wondering about those eyes shining from the darkness. This is an anthology horror fans will love. Highly recommended.

Tom Johnson
Echoes Magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment