My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Friday, August 9, 2013

The Adventures of A Tennessean


Adventures Of A Tennessean (Biography/Adventure)
By James Carl Duncan, Lt/Col (Marine Ret)
ISBN #978-1481741576
Author House www.authorhouse.com
177 Pages
Price
Rating 5-Stars

“A Young Man’s Journey”

The story really begins in 1948, when young Alvin Eunis Duncan graduated from high school and enlisted in the U.S. Navy for a three-year tour. At 18 years of age, and fresh from a small town in Tennessee, Red as he was nicknamed, was off to see the world. We follow him through basic training, advanced training in engineering, then through Under Water Demolition (UDT), the forerunner of the SEALS, and finally to Asia and the Pacific where he worked in salvage for years. We get a first hand view of China in 1950, and the Far East in general, as his team work the islands while dealing with communists youths, and cannibal headhunters, and learn what it was like serving in the Navy back then.

The final chapters take us to the Korean Conflict, and his extended enlistment because of war. He had sailed to the North Pole on the USS Askari with Admiral Byrd’s expedition, and worked with the crew sounding the coast of Korea a year before the war for possible landing areas for American troops should war break out.  

The stories were passed down to his son, James Duncan, who began this book as a family history, but because of the military aspect, and important data seen through the eyes of his father, he felt the book would also be of importance to both military and history buffs. As a twenty-year veteran, I enjoyed the book, and got a kick out of his basic and advanced training, remembering with fond memories those days on the obstacle course, firing range, and general cut-ups, especially how none of us wanted to see a “Maggie’s Drawers” over our target. And how tough young men were back then. Anyone who ever wore a uniform, no matter what branch, will find this book a fun look back at how young men were before our youth went south. There were a few times I had to laugh, wondering how the Navy got along after this man’s enlistment was over, but didn’t we all feel that way? And I think all of us have stretched some of our war stories in retelling. I know I have. But reading about this red haired Tennessean, I had the impression he was quite capable of all the deeds he performed in this tale. Highly recommended reading.


Tom Johnson, Author
Cold War Heroes (France)
Bad Moon Rising (Vietnam)

No comments:

Post a Comment