My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Friday, August 16, 2013

Dr. Thaddeus C. Harker


Dr. Thaddeus C. Harker (Complete Volume)
By Edwin Truett Long
Altus Press www.altuspress.com/
ISBN #978-1618271082
Price $25.90
350 Pages
Rating 5-Stars

“A Fascinating Pulp Character”

In this beautifully produced and designed volume from Altus Press the only three Doc Harker novels are reprinted for the first time since 73 years. Doc Harker was unique among the pulps. Traveling the south in medicine show during the 1940s, he sold a cure- all concoction called Chickassha Remedies as he entertained the local town’s people with his aides, strong man Hercules Jones, and beautiful Brenda Sloan. A criminologist, he always seemed to find mysterious crime in the towns where he stopped. Three stories were published in the Munsey magazine, “Crime Nest”, April 1940; “Woe To The Vanquished”, June 1940; and “South of The Border”, August 1940. The stories appeared under the byline of Edwin Truett, in truth Edwin Truett Long, a Texas author popular in the Spicy magazines under a variety of pseudonyms.

Doc Harker was a fascinating pulp character, and one that readers will love. Highly recommended.

Tom Johnson
Echoes Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment