My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Friday, May 22, 2015

Dyed To Death

This is K.G. McAbee’s historical “Dyed To Death,” the winning story of our 8th annual BONA contest. This whodunit, set in a southern mill town in the early part of the last century, introduces dynamic pair of sleuths. The levelheaded town constable is assisted by a young teen, who knows a thing or two about solving crimes from reading, naturally, pulp magazines.


Dyed To Death (Murder Mystery)
By K.G. McAbee
“Black Orchard Novella Award Winner”
Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine July/Aug 2015
$7.99
Rating 5-Stars

"Author Never Disappoints!"

The story takes place at the Grady-Best Mill Town, which is ruled by Arthur Best and his son, Jonathan Best. Hiram Alberry and his wife Esther are also workers for Arthur Best, and all become suspects in a local murder mystery. When Ida Mae Simpson is found murdered, these four have reasons to have murdered her. The victim was a loose woman, and causing problems within the mill. Guy Hansen, who runs the company store, is also the mill town constable, and his young worker, Samuel C. Nicholson assists him in the murder case. Guy was a WWI veteran, and young Sam reads pulp detectives, and wants to become a pulp writer of detective stories.

But all of their investigation proves that the four suspects were together during the time of the murder, so how could any of them be the murderer, unless …?

This was so much fun, as are all of K.G. McAbee’s stories. An award winning author of many genres, I’m not surprised that she won the Black Orchard Novella Award for this mystery. I’ve been a fan of hers for a couple of decades now, and this novella doesn’t disappoint. Highly recommended for mystery lovers of any century!

Tom Johnson

Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment