My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Monday, January 26, 2015

Nashville Mercy

Nashville Mercy (Medical Mystery)
By M. Maitland DeLand, M.D.
DeLand Media Group, LLC www.delandbooks.com
ISBN #978-0986224110
274 Pages
$16.95 (Paperback)
Rating 5-Stars

“An Easy Read, Good Plot, And Interesting Characters.”

Reporter Kate Katelinson, with the Nashville Herald, is sent to Nashville Mercy Hospital on a human-interest story when she discovers something more frightening. Country Music superstar, Gwendolyn Cartwright is only one of many unnecessary angioplasty surgeries being done at the hospital. Deciding to investigate, she encounters heavy resistance from the hospital staff, then people start dying, and her sister is run over by a hit & run driver, giving her a message to back off.

The more she pushes, the deeper the case gets, and she discovers a lot of money is being moved into private accounts. There’s enough money moving into someone’s account to make killing a necessity for someone.

Ms. DeLand is a medical doctor, and children’s book author already. This is her first entrance into the mystery field, and she brings her knowledge of the medical scene with her. A good plot, with good characters, and interesting setting makes the tale an exciting read, and I think we will see more of Kate Katelinson in the future. There is a bit of mild profanity, but it doesn’t overwhelm the story, and is used when needed, not for shock value. Sex is kept off scene also, so the reader is never distracted from the mystery. Although the mystery really unravels on its own, Kate’s digging pulls the culprits out into the open. This is a topnotch first mystery novel for the author, and highly recommended.

Tom Johnson
Detective Mystery Stories

Q&A With M. Maitland DeLand
Q: After writing so many successful children’s stories, what drew you to writing an adult novel, and a mystery in particular?

A: This was something different. It was edgy and I could play around with some more adult themes. It was also fun to think of how I could take my intense, technical medical knowledge and use it to create a story that every reader could enjoy. Not everyone wants to read medical texts, but everyone does want to read and find out how a murder can happen.

Q: How different was it writing an adult novel from a children’s book?

A: Well, it was very different. I could really have a little more freedom with my writing. I could make ideas a little more complex, a little more technical, but with the children’s books – as fun as they are to write, you have to keep in mind that you are writing to a much younger audience.

Q: You uniquely tie your professional experiences as an oncologist into your writing. Why is that important to you?

A: If I went to school for it…might as well use it!! Seriously – we spend so much time building up our knowledge on marketing, sales, business development, biology, whatever it is, and we spend so much money to get these degrees. Why not find ways to utilize all your interests and everything you learn over the years? This is a fun release for me. It’s applying all my experiences and knowledge, but with a creative outlet.

Q: Why did you choose to set this series in Nashville?

A: It’s the hub of the music industry. I wanted to center my books around things happening in the music industry. And personally, I just love the city. It’s such a diverse culture, everybody there is so friendly, and I love being there!

Q: Are you like your main character at all?

A: Not at all! But I think that’s what makes creating her so fun! I wish I could solve a mystery as fast as Kate!

Q: Can you explain your writing process and how you shaped Nashville Mercy?

A: Writing Nashville Mercy was an intuitive process. I knew I wanted to create a strong, intelligent female protagonist with great instincts. I put myself in Kate Katelinson’s shoes when writing, and always asked myself how she would react to the events unfolding in the plot. It was actually very fun.
            When shaping the idea for the plot, I chose to focus on a corrupt aspect of the United State’s medical system that many don’t know exists. I ultimately wanted to make the plot informative and engaging, while opening the opportunity to have a dialogue and create change around the issues addressed in the book.

Q: Without any spoilers, can you give us a sneak peak into the second installment of the Kate Katelinson series, Nashville Rap?

A: Kate Katelinson comes up against the greatest challenge of her career and personal life in this murder mystery, which is set in the heart of Nashville’s music scene. When a famous music producer suddenly dies in what appears to be an accident, Kate’s instincts tell her there’s more to the story. She embarks on a personal investigation and quickly finds herself surrounded by colorful suspects and odd clues that must be pieced together before the killer discovers her true agenda. Kate must also trust her instincts when a handsome record executive pursues her. This book is a bold investigation into race, power, jealousy, and betrayal. Readers will learn some more interesting medical facts as well!




No comments:

Post a Comment