My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Mark of The Black Claw

Mark of the Black Claw (Pulp Fiction)
By Douglas D. Hawk
BOOBRMEB46
Raptor Mountain Publishing
221 Pages
Price $2.99 (Kindle)
Rating 5-Stars

“Great Pulp Action, And New Character.”

It’s April 1942, not long after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and pulled America into the world war. In an unnamed city, Nazi agents sabotage key points and are after secret documents from a military installation. The Operation, a government organization is set up to battle the threat; just who the organization is, is never revealed. One of their operatives is a masked vigilante called The Black Claw, dressed all in black, and carrying twin automatics; on the left glove is a claw, which can be used as a deadly weapon against foes.

Definitely one of the best new pulp characters we’ve seen in quite a while. The author is a fan of the old pulps, like Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Spider, and The Black Bat, and it can be seen in his writing. Although ten stories have been mapped out, only two have been published so far. These were actually written in 1998, but only recently published. The author could have used a proofreader, but the story is topnotch regardless of a few missing words and typos. We find streets named Wentworth Drive and Cranston. People are reading Spicy Detective Stories, The Shadow – “The Jade Dragon” – and fedoras are worn by good and bad alike. It will be a shame if the author doesn’t continue the series, these are fun reads with lots of action, and interesting characters. Just like reading old pulp stories! Highly recommended for readers of purple prose and fast action.

Tom Johnson
Author of GUNS OF THE BLACK GHOST

No comments:

Post a Comment