My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Servant

Private investigator Steve Bennett is having the worst day of his life. A violent sex trafficker wants him dead, a police captain is pulling out all the stops to send him to prison, and one of his best friends has just been murdered. Enraged by his friend’s death, Bennett swears revenge. The trail leads him to a psychopath who calls himself ‘The Servant of the Lord.’ The killer’s targets: the leaders of a movement to legalize same-sex marriage. He strikes without remorse, leaving bloody messages of biblical vengeance with each victim. He taunts the public by announcing each murder. He comes and goes at will. No one knows who he is or how far he’s willing to go. It’s a race against time as Bennett and reporter Amanda Clark find themselves on course for a deadly confrontation with ‘The Servant’

The Servant (Murder Mystery)
By Robert Gonko
ISBN $978-1500297259
294 Pages
$7.99 Paperback
$3.99 eBook
Rating 1-Star

“Dark And Angry.”

Steve Bennett is an ex Port Mason police officer now working as a private detective with the Bennett Investigations. He’s investigating sex crimes when reporter Amanda Clark begins receiving messages from The Servant of God. Gays are being murdered after legal status is given their marriages. The murderer appears to move with complete invisibility, leaving no clues, except for Bible verses.

This was a dark and angry story. There were so many characters popping in and out that it was hard to remember who was who, and everyone was angry. I read to relax, to escape, to be entertained, mystified, and astounded. The author failed on all accounts. Where the characters could have turned a phrase, or responded with a witty wisecrack, instead they spew profanity. If there was a point to the story, the author lost me in the rampant anger. I was not able to connect with any of the characters, nor did I want to, and the story left me angry for reading it. To be honest, at times I thought there was a writer coming to the surface, and this could have been a good plot, but the one-dimensional characters kept the story from rising above the mediocre.

Tom Johnson

Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment