My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Cheap Thrills

Cheap Thrills (History of Pulps)
By Ron Goulart
Hermes Press
ISBN #978-1932563740
Price $29.99 (Paperback)
208 Pages
Rating 5-Stars

This is a reprint of Goulart’s 1969 An Informal History of The Pulp Magazines paperback. This 2007 edition is a trade paperback (8.5 X 11). It has been updated with corrected information, as well as additional material, and packed full of color cover scans. It contains chapters on the Dime Novel & Paper Stories of the 19th century, the beginning of the pulp magazines, heroes, soldiers of fortune, The Shadow, Doc Savage, the masked heroes, Tarzan ands the Jungle Lords, Conan & the barbarians, Captain Future and the science fiction heroes, and much more.

This is a book for the old pulp and new pulp fan alike.  It belongs on everyone’s shelf. Highly recommended.

Tom Johnson

Author of THE NEW PULP HEROES

No comments:

Post a Comment