My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Friday, December 4, 2015

Spyfall

Spyfall (Spy Spoof)
By John Hegenberger
Black Opal Books Publishing www.blackopalbooks.com 
ASIN #B0166E353C
Price $3.99
197 Pages
Rating 4-Stars

“Brilliant Writing, And A Fun Story With A Lot of Humor.”

L.A. P.I. Stan Wade works for Uncle Walt (Walt Disney), who besides running Disneyland is also connected to the FBI/CIA, and maybe other offices. After Stan’s friend, FBI agent Max Beeler is blown up by a car bomb in his automobile, Walt tells him to meet Ian Fleming at the hotel, and go with him. Fleming takes Stan overseas, but it turns out he’s a double, and disappears before the real Fleming finds him. Now Stan and the real Ian Fleming are off to rescue another spy, but they wait for Uncle Walt to arrive and assist them. Rescuing the missing agent, they discover another Russian secret, and things get more complicated.

The writing is brilliant, and a fun story with a lot of humor, but it’s clear that this is a spy spoof, with the use of real people in the roles of secret agents. I don’t care for books that use real people in fiction plots, putting words in their mouths, and having them perform actions that might not be honest to the real person(s). Except for the over-the-top humor, this could have been a very good spy thriller. And just because I don’t particularly care for spoofs, I think readers who do like them, and are not bothered by my other complaint, will enjoy this novel. Highly recommended.

Tom Johnson
Author of COLD WAR HEROES

No comments:

Post a Comment