My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Killing At The Carnival

Cassie Pengear thought a visit to the carnival would be fun: see some shows, eat some sweets, help her landlady’s nephew decide if the cowboy was real or an actor. But then the cowboy shot the volunteer, and he didn’t get up. Now Cassie has a ten-year-old boy insisting the cowboy isn’t a killer and a landlady insisting she help solve the killing at the carnival. 29,000 words, print version 126 pages


Killing At The Carnival (Cozy Steampunk Mystery)
“Cassie Pengear Mysteries Book #1”
By L. A. Nisula
ISBN #B00RHWHOBM
Amazon Kindle
Price $0.99
126 Pages
Rating 5-Stars

“A Fast Fun Read.”

Cassie Pengear, an American in London, does some typing for Scotland Yard. This usually throws her into some investigations of her own; something Inspector Burroughs wants her to stay out of. In fact, in this current case she stumbles into innocently enough, involves a carnival that may be mixed up in a bank robbery five years previous. Unknown to Cassie, Scotland Yard has the Kingston Carnival under observation when she takes her landlord’s ten year old nephew to see cowboy trick shooter Nick Culpepper perform his western act. But when a person from the audience is shot dead by the cowboy in the trick-shooting act, she’s in the audience to witness the killing. Ten-year-old Davy Hawkin tells her that Cowboy Nick didn’t kill the victim, and it’s up to Cassie to prove his innocence.

Okay, I admit it, I love stories set at the circus or a carnival, so I jumped at the chance to read this fast-moving short novel, and I wasn’t disappointed. Well written, with a nice plot, and interesting characters, it kept my interest from the first page. There is no deep mystery for us to solve, it’s a cozy after all, very short and fun. A quick read in only a couple of hours, it still gives the reader their money’s worth. Readers who enjoy a light mystery set in steampunk will enjoy this new series. Highly recommended.

Tom Johnson

Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment