My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sherlock Holmes And The Adventure of The Modern Cinderella


Sherlock Holmes And The Adventures of The Modern Cinderella
By Thomas Owen
ISBN 978-1461167167
Amazon
Paperback $5.95
Kindle $2.99
53 Pages
Rating 5-Stars

“A Delightful And Fun Read.”

Inspector Lestrade brings Prince Anthony of Grautania to Sherlock Holmes with an odd story: While attending a masked costume ball at the home of Lord Chesterville, a masked lady caught his attention, and they spoke together for a while. He became smitten with her, but at a certain time she claimed she had to go, and raced off, losing a slipper in her haste. Now Prince Anthony wants desperately to find his mysterious Cinderella of the Ball.

Dr. Watson and Sherlock Holmes visit Lord Chesterville’s home, the scene of the mysterious happening, where things appear not quite above board. How had the young masked lady disappeared so easily, and could there be more to her than just a mere guest of the Ball? The mind of Sherlock Holmes sees more than he lets on, and suddenly makes a mysterious trip to France, leaving Dr. Watson wondering what he is up to.

For the most part I have passed up Sherlock Holmes as reading material because of the Victorian period in which the stories were written. I’ve tried to read early works set in the period, but found the archaic writing hard to follow; at least to keep my interest. Thus, I did not bother with Sherlock Holmes. But I must say, this short novel by Thomas Owen, combining the master detective with a certain fairy tale, is a delightful, and fun read. Although the reader will quickly figure out the mystery of the masked woman, we don’t discover all the truth until Sherlock Holmes reveals it at the end.

Tom Johnson
Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment