My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Avenue of The Giants


The Avenue of The Giants (True Crime Novel)
By Marc Dugain
ISBN #978-1609452001
Europa Editions www.europaeditions.com
352 Pages
Price $17.00
Rating 5-Stars

“From A Dysfunctional Family To A Killer. The Story of A Giant In Both Size And Intellect Who’s Sexual Fantasies Turned To Murder.”

Edmund Kemper became better known perhaps as The Co-Ed Killer in California, when he was arrested in 1973. At 6’9” and 300 pounds, he was a huge man with a high IQ, yet suffered from sexual fantasies and mental disorders. He killed his grandmother and grandfather when he was 15, after learning of Lee Harvey Oswald’s shooting of JFK, only spending a few years in prison for the crime. In the early 1970s he picked up young female hitchhikers, killing them then sexually molesting the bodies. He is still in prison for his later crimes.

The author writes the novel in 1st person narative, from Kemper’s POV, showing the reader his thoughts and the scenes from his perspective, turning the novel into a murder story. There appears to be no thoughts of remorse for what he does, and once he kills his mother, he feels it’s finished and turns himself in.

Although I’m not a true crime reader, preferring fiction to non-fiction murder mysteries, the author presents the Edmund Kemper story in a way that satisfies the mystery reader. Anyone interested in The Co-Ed Murders will certainly want to read this novel for a closer look at the mind of a killer.

Tom Johnson
Detective Mystery Stories


No comments:

Post a Comment