My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Saturday, February 1, 2014

35 Years Ago Today


Although I had taken 60 days terminal leave, I departed my last duty station on December 1st 1978. February 1st, 1979 was my official date of retirement. It's hard to believe I retired 35 years ago today. I was active duty from November 1958 until February 1979; twenty years of good and bad assignments. But a lot of great friends, the names of many are forgotten, but their faces still haunt my memory, as do their voices. I know I've mentioned this before, but one evening several years ago the telephone rang and on the other end was a voice from Vietnam. Talk about ghosts, I instantly recognized that voice. He was a young three-stripe sergeant who worked for me in Vietnam. Today he lives in Tennessee and teaches school in Alabama. He didn't make a career in the military, but went into teaching instead. Like many from that period, Vietnam made him choose another career than the military. But anyway, I'm feeling a little nostalgic today, I hope you don't mind.
Tom

4 comments:

  1. Quite an anniversary. Thanks for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge congratulations, Tom. And congrats on a wonderful 35 years after. Now, you just need to figure out what to do in the next 35! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Guys, not sure I can hold up for the next 35 (G). I'll leave that for the young guys (LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife made SOS for lunch (LOL). Guess she wanted me to think I was back in the Mess Hall today (hahaha).

    ReplyDelete