My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Thursday, November 14, 2013

The 2013 ECHOES Awards


Laurie Powers

The 2013 ECHOES Awards go to Steve Miller and Laurie Powers. Steve & Laurie are dedicated to preserving the history of the pulp magazines and the era for future generations of fans. It is with great honor that we bestow the ECHOES Award for 2013 to these fine recipients.

The Echoes Award was created in 1992, the second award to honor members of the pulp community, the first being the Lamont. From 1992 until 1997, the Award consisted of both plaque and paper certificate. Between 1998 and 2004, only the paper certificate was given out, then the Award ceased until 2009, at which time it was resurrected. The Award is not voted on, but the determination of who is doing the most to promote the pulps and pulp fandom is selected by Tom & Ginger Johnson. It is not a writer or artist award, those awards are being given out by Airship27 and Pro Se. The Munsey Award has replaced the Lamont, honoring individuals in the pulp community. 

Echoes Award (large plaques)

1992: Nick Carr/Ron Wilber/Francis Saint Martin
1993: Steve Mitchell/Kevin Duncan
1994: Burt Leake/Ray Capella
1995: David Burton/Shawn Danowski
1996: Bill Thom/Albert Roberts
1997: Will Murray/Albert Tonik

1998 – 2004 (At the time we were slowly phasing out our involvement, and felt the Lamont was the only award necessary, so only awarded paper certificates, and somehow misplaced our records from that period.)

The plaque returns in 2009. With the resurgence of pulp interest, and the sudden escalation in print on demand  - POD - technology, there appeared to be a revival of the pulps, so we decided to take another look at the feasibility of presenting the Echoes Award once more.

2009: Matt Moring
2010/2011: Ric Croxton & Art Sippo
2012 Howard Wright
2013 Laurie Powers & Steve Miller

We are already looking at several names for the 2014 Echoes Award, but no decision will be made until the proper time.
Tom & Ginger Johnson. 

2 comments:

  1. Might copyeditors be considered? I'm pleased to have helped polish 70-80 books for various publishers in the last five years (Altus Press and Airship 27 being my main employers). I am proud to have helped keep some of our cherished heritage alive for another generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha
    We look at a lot of people through the year, and make the decision around October. Sometimes two people, sometimes just one. Everyone is considered (G).

    ReplyDelete