My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Silver Manticore


The Sting of The Silver Manticore (Heroic Fantasy)
By P.J. Lozito
Pro Se Press
ISBN #978-1475251081
304 Pages
Price $10.80
Rating 4-Stars

“He Haunts The Most Dangerous Prey!”

The Silver Manticore is a combination of The Green Hornet, The Shadow, The Coperhead, and maybe a few other heroes from pulp, radio, comic books, and serials.  In “The Sting of The Silver Manticore”, the author’s first novel, our hero is pitted against Hanoi Tsin and Siam Khan (Dr. Fu Manchu & Shiwan Khan). There is a lot of action, mixed with an equal amount of dialogue, and sometimes a bit of confusion. The author gives homage to just about every fictional character in literature, from Captain Nemo to Doc Savage and Secret Agent X, and many more.

Overall, this was an interesting work, and nicely written for a first novel. Although the homage to all the old characters was cute, the reader spends too much time trying to figure out who is supposed to be whom in this play – however, perhaps that was the intent of the author. Still, I would have preferred to see less homage to other characters, and the author’s own creativity with brand new characters.

There was some minor editing problems, but nothing serious, and the cover was quite beautiful. I expect to see the author settle down now that his first novel is out, and give us a truly stand up novel featuring this new pulp hero without all the clones.

Check this author out!

No comments:

Post a Comment