My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Kipling And Haggard


Rudyard Kipling And Sir Henry Rider Haggard
“On Screen, Stage, Radio and Television”
By Philip Leibfried
McFarland & Co, Inc.
ISBN #978-0786437467
Price: $39.95
214 Pages
Rating 5-Stars

Two early British writers to achieve popularity in England and the U.S. were without doubt, Rudyard Kipling and Sir Henry Rider Haggard. Kipling’s poetic writing style with such work as Gunga Din, to Haggard’s bold adventure African romance novels are discussed in this book. Their popularity continues today, more than a hundred years after writing some of their groundbreaking fiction, which influenced many writers that followed. The author of this study gives a brief history of their lives then, as the sub-title refers, a history of their fiction appearing on screen, stage, radio, and television.

McFarland’s production is, as always, well designed, and the author has included movie posters and movie stills from such movies ranging from the silent era of the 1917 Albert Roscoe and Theda Bara in Cleopatra, to the 1965 Ursula Andress portrayal of She, and beyond. Kipling’s filmography includes the 1937 Captain Courageous with a young Spencer Tracy and John Carradine, and Sabu as Mowgli the jungle boy in the 1942 Jungle Book. This 214-page tome is filled with great reproductions, and is well researched by the author.

Whether you love their fiction or cinema, this book is a must have for Haggard and Kipling fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment