My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Monday, July 25, 2011

Lot's Return To Sodom - Review

Lot’s Returns To Sodom (Mystery)
By Sandra Brannan
Greenleaf Book Group Press www.gbgpress.com
ISBN #978-1-60832-119-3
320 Pages
Price: $14.95
Rating: 4-Star

(“An Entertaining Read!”)

Liv Bergen returns in Lot’s Returns To Sodom, Sandra Brannan’s sequel to the fascinating In The Belly of Jonah. This time her brother is a suspect in the murder of his girlfriend, and like Nancy Drew she goes about looking for the real killer. In the meantime, there’s another murder that appears to be by the notorious Crooked Man serial killer, which brings F.B.I. Agent Streeter Pierce from Colorado to the Black Hills of South Dakota. There are plenty of suspects, and lots of danger for Liv Bergen.

After a brilliant debut novel, I was a little disappointed in this second entry by Sandra Brannan. It relied too heavily on the first story and brought in the same F.B.I. agent from Colorado, when it might have been best to introduce a new character for this out of state investigation, bringing the original field agent back in a later story. Although we’re told that Liv Bergen’s brother is a suspect in his girlfriend’s murder, he is really never in much danger of arrest, just a “person of interest” since his involvement with the victim. My main complaint against the story was changing the location from the mining community of Colorado to the Sturgis, South Dakota area. I thought the previous book worked better, and I admit I’m not a fan of motorcycle gangs or Sturgis.

However, Sandra Brannan continues to entertain with her style of story-telling and interesting murder mysteries.

Tom Johnson, Editor
Detective Mystery Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment