My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dime Detective Companion

Dime Detective Companion
By James L. Traylor
ISBN #9781453824269
226 Pages
Price: $24.95 Paperback; $34.95 Hardback
Rating: 5-Stars

In this beautifully produced book, all 274 issues are indexed, with black & white cover reproductions of each issue included. There is an alphabetical author listing, plus author profiles and pictures. There is also an author-character cross reference list, plus appearances of characters. The author includes an Interview and articles, plus is joined by Monte Herridge, Marvin Lachman, and Will Murray with more material. Finally, the round-robin story, “The Tongueless Man” by William E. Barrett, Carroll John Daly, Frederick C. Dacis, T.T. Flynn, and John Lawrence is reprinted.

As a pulp collector, I am thrilled to see these Companion books being published by Altus Press, and the author of this huge volume has done his research well. This is a must for my generation as well as future generations interested in the history of the pulp magazines.

Tom Johnson
Echoes Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment