My Blog

Retirement. Publishers, thank you for the many years of reading pleasure you gave me, but all good things must come to an end. Due to failing eyesight I am forced to retire. I can no longer review your books, and any that you send will be donated to the local library, unread. Do not send any more. I can only read for a couple hours every day, and this does not allow me to finish a book in reasonable time. I will be devoting time to my own books from now on, and reading on a personal level. Books that interest me. I prefer paperbacks and hardbacks, not eBooks. My eyesight has been failing the last few years, and I cannot handle hundreds of review books any more. My books are still available for review. Anyone interested in reviewing any of them, they are found in the Link to Tom’s Books On Amazon. Contact me for pdf copies at fadingshadows40@gmail.com

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Torn Veil

The Torn Veil
By Calvin Daniels & Mitchel Rose
ISBN #978-1451562446
210 Pages
Price: $12.99
Rating: 4-Stars

The Torn Veil brings us deeper into the mythological Granton City, this time introducing us to the Chinatown district in a fantasy adventure of demons and other dimensions. The hero is Yoshi, The Ghost Wind, who is a ninja trained warrior-slave to the ruling monarch of the district. In a complicated story, gods and demons are in a battle for the control of mankind, and the center appears to be in Granton City, where the Veil that separates the dimension from our plain is becoming weaker. All parties recognize Ghost Wind as the one who has a chance to defeat the evil. If he fails …

This novel had the potential of being the best story featuring a new hero I’ve read in several years. Its premise is fantastic, and the hero is fascinating, while the action is furious and well thought out. The production and writing is top notch, and very little editing problems. However, there were way too many characters involved, and the authors jumped around too much. Instead of following the main characters, we follow each of them: sometimes several in the same chapter, which becomes confusing. In the end, I did not remember half the characters, and felt the authors should have spotlighted Ghost Wind more. Though set in the 1920s, the story reads more modern than the novels of that period. Martial Arts and machine guns are mixed in with magic and sex. Still, regardless of my negative feelings towards the story, this is a topnotch action adventure for the fantasy lover. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment